Capacity building programme
1. Open call for music export participants
In a nutshell
This programme will engage a group of 45 music industry professionals including 15 exporters, to come together and explore cutting edge methods of music export, from new funding models to digital collaboration, mentoring to job shadowing; while also examining the challenges faced by artists from across Europe when trying to export their music worldwide. Apply now if you work in music export, are based in the EU, speak fluent english and if you want to help design music export programmes of the future
What Is the EMX Capacity Building Programme?
This capacity building programme is one of the key parts of the EMX Project, which aims to design EU pilot programs for music export. Building on and informed by the findings on the needs, challenges and opportunities for music exports uncovered by the research in the first part of the EMX programme (read more about all elements of the project here) and previously in the Study on the European Music Export Strategy.
We will engage a group of 45 music industry professionals including 15 exporters, to come together and explore cutting edge methods of music export, from new funding models to digital collaboration, mentoring to job shadowing; while also examining the challenges faced by artists from across Europe when trying to export their music worldwide. This programme will produce results looking at the most impactful methods of export for artists and the tools that export offices need in order to support and develop talent in their own countries.
This call is specifically for those experienced in music export, with strong knowledge of the programmes and methods of music export in their country.
Who Should Apply?
We are looking for 15 music exporter professionals, who above all are passionate about connecting people and keen to explore new ways of exporting music. Do you work at a music export office or on export initiatives with similar aims? Are you responsible for helping artists, managers and labels realise their export potential? Then we want to hear from you.
Please apply if you meet the criteria
- Have worked in music export for more than 2 years (at an export office or other organisation with export initiatives)
- Responsible for helping others reach their export potential, designing programmes, courses and materials to assist creatives in exporting their work in your own country.
- EU citizens, with a EU passport and based in an EU member state
- Speak fluent English
Please Note: only one professional per organisation will be chosen to participate in this programme.
As well as evaluating applications on their enthusiasm and passion for innovative methods of music export, we will ensure selected participants cover a range of experience (including those who have worked to implement export initiatives in developing markets or in countries without dedicated export offices), from a range of EU countries and are gender balanced.
What is expected from participants? (includes timings)
We will expect all chosen participants to commit fully to the EMX arranged activities. Attending all 4 of the modules happening throughout October – January, whether digitally or in person – covid allowing, we will expect you to attend all of the physical events (October 19/20 and January 18, all in Amsterdam).
We expect you to participate with ideas and contribute to the group in a proactive and open way, providing support and guidance for those less experienced in export.
Main activities are scheduled as follows (dates and locations are subject to change)
- Navigating the “New Normal”. New trends, challenges and opportunities in the (post-)COVID world for music export (1 day, In Person – Amsterdam,19th October 2021)
- Music export from a European perspective (1 day, In Person – Amsterdam, 20th October)
- In-depth look at a market: India (1 day, digital, November 23rd)
- Learning from the past and designing the future (1 day, In Person – Amsterdam, 18th Jan)
As well as the core activities, all 15 export participants will be invited to apply for further funding support in order to participate in a job shadowing programme. If successful, this activity is to be completed between October 1st 2021 – January 17th 2022 and will last between 10 – 20 days. We will provide the support needed to work with another export organisation to develop new projects, gain a better understanding of how the organisation is run, and work on innovative new ideas.
What do you get in return for participating?
Each participant will receive the following:
- €400 travel contribution to cover participation of all in person elements. (19/20 October, 18th January)
- The opportunity to apply to take part in our job shadowing programme for exporters
- Connection and networking with a group of exciting and like minded individuals from across europe
- The opportunity to contribute towards the building of future EU Programmes for music export
- Access to the participant hub for training and contact building
Please note this opportunity is not paid beyond the travel contribution. Travel contribution will be paid 50% on confirmation of participation and 50% once all activities have been completed.
Additional access support can be provided to those that need it. Applicants are invited to discuss the amount of extra support needed with the EMX team via firstname.lastname@example.org
Applications are open until July 14th 2021
For any questions or further information please email email@example.com with the subject ‘EMX Application’